Here’s where you can find rental, mortgage and utility assistance in my district

Rep. Greg Stanton
5 min readDec 28, 2020

Last updated: November 1, 2021 Read this guide in Spanish here.

Update: The Arizona Department of Housing has opened a federally-funded Homeowner Assistance Fund. Apply here and see if you’re eligible here.

In the face of so much uncertainty, no one should have to worry about losing their home or not being able to feed their family, and it is Congress’ duty to fight for you and the help you need.

Over the past year, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Congress allocated billions of dollars to state and local governments to fund rental and mortgage assistance programs. With so many hurting and in need of immediate help, I want to make sure that aid is easy to find and given equitably.

Fortunately, there are still resources in our district to help. Below are a list of rental, mortgage and utility assistance programs offered by cities in our district.

Rental and Mortgage Assistance Resources

Arizona Department of Housing

Thanks to financial assistance from Congress, the Arizona Department of Housing has opened a new $197 million Homeowner Assistance Fund for those who need it. Funding from the program is available for immediate distribution to anyone who is eligible. To qualify you must:

  • Have an income equal to or less than 150% of the median income in your area
  • Have experienced a financial hardship after January 21, 2021 (such as a job loss, loss of income, increased costs of healthcare or the need to care for a family member).

Learn more here.

Maricopa County

Thanks to financial assistance from Congress, Maricopa County’s utility and rental assistance program is now active and will serve eligible county residents in Tempe and Scottsdale.

Eligible households must have an income at or below 80% of the County’s median income, which is $56,050 for a family of three.

Additionally, one or more individuals in the household must:

  1. Qualify for unemployment benefits OR have experienced reduced income or increased expenses due to COVID-19; AND
  2. Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability as evidenced by past due notices.

Click here for more information.

City of Phoenix (Human Services Social Services)

Family Service Centers will continue to accept applications for emergency assistance.

Family Services Centers operate 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Phone calls accepted beginning at 8 a.m. on Mondays only. When a holiday falls on a Monday, appointments will be taken beginning​ at 8:00 a.m. on the next business day. Households with a member age 60 or over may contact the Senior Services Intake line at 602–262–6631 between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

All emergency assistance appointments will be scheduled using our new appointment phone number for all three Family Services Centers.

To schedule an emergency assistance appointment call 602–534-AIDE(2433) or 1–866–882–1778.

The Family Services Centers will no longer be accepting drop off documents or making copies at the centers until further notice. Click here to apply.

City of Phoenix Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program

The city is accepting applications for its new $51 million ERA program. To apply, you must be a Phoenix resident, make less than $65,250 for a family of four and be able to show how you’ve been financially impacted from the pandemic. Landlords may also apply with the tenant’s permission. These funds can be used for rent and utility, water and trash bills.

To apply, call the city’s Human Resources Department at (602) 534–2433.

Wildfire AZ

The City of Phoenix has released additional emergency funding for renters and homeowners, to pay for rent, mortgage, water, gas and electric bills. Wildfire AZ will administer the program.

Learn more information here.

City of Mesa (Save the Family)

Mesa residents who have been financially affected by the pandemic can apply for the Save the Family’s Eviction Prevention program. You can open their application in a word processor or as a PDF.

Please note that you will have to provide documents during the application process, including proof of identity, a copy of your deed or title, a rent or mortgage statement and other documents, a list of which you can find here.

City of Mesa (en español)

The City of Mesa’s Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance Program is accepting applications again thanks to recent federal funding. To qualify for this program, you must live in Mesa (not on a county island in Mesa), show proof of how COVID-19 has affected you (loss of job, fewer hours, medical expenses, etc., and you must have a monthly gross income of at or below the 80 percent medians, which you can find on the program’s website.

Read more about the program, how you can apply and what documentation you need to provide. You can call them at (480) 644–5440 or email them at

City of Chandler

Chandler Community Action Program is accepting applications for rental, mortgage and utility assistance. Applications must be submitted in person at one of their CAP offices.

Community Action Program — AZCEND
345 S. California St.
Chandler, AZ 85225
(480) 963–1423 ext. 118

Serves residents of Chandler, Queen Creek, Sun Lakes, Gilbert, Higley

Link to pre-screening packet: English Version/ Spanish Version

*Application for assistance must be dropped off in person*

All requests for assistance must be accompanied by a Pre-screening Packet English Version/ Spanish Version

City of Scottsdale (Vista Del Camino Community Center)

The City of Scottsdale is accepting applications for rental and mortgage assistance online or in-person.

City of Scottsdale — Vista Del Camino Community Center
7700 E Roosevelt Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85257

Residents can pre-apply online or contact City of Scottsdale office at (480) 312–2323 to apply in person. Click here to complete the pre-screening application.

The effects of this pandemic will ripple through our communities long after we stop its spread. I remain committed to making sure federal aid reaches our communities equitably.

To ensure that Arizonans have what they need, my office has a comprehensive Community Resource Guide with COVID-19 resources, including state and federal housing assistance. You can find that and more information here.

If you cannot find what you are looking for, need help with a federal agency or feel you have been treated unfairly, my staff may be able to help. You can call my office at (602) 956–2463.